Tuesday, February 7, 2012

String


People take many things for granted, and I think as we age we see less wonder in the world, like the magic is gone after we find Santa Clause isn't real, and we become jaded to the simple pleasures in life.

Like string.

Remember when you were a kid and some of the simple things you found around the house the most fun things to play with. An empty paper towel roll, a cardboard box, the laundry basket (with and without clothes in it), dad's shoes..... Mom’s shoes for that matter. All these things are so amazing as we are growing up, but we forget how much fun they are.

Well, the big guy has this thing from string. It's like the most awesome thing in the world to him. He can find a piece of string in the middle of a snow storm, and play with right up till the rescue party comes. You give him a string, and you give him the world. He has a fishing pole, a dog leash, or a whip. He will twirl it in the air, like it’s a flag, or set it down on the floor like it’s a worm.

He does this funny thing about anything that smells, he will sniff it, then wave his hand in front of his nose and say "eeeww", very cute.

The other day he had a string, where he found it I will never know, and he was running around with it. At some point I thought it would be funny to do the "stinky" thing to the string, so I had him come over to me, I smelled the string, waved my nose in front of my face, and said "eeeww" and he looked at me like I was crazy....then ran away using his string as a kite.

If only everyone were so easily able to have fun with such simple objects like that.....

1 comment: