Sunday, June 17, 2012

Video games are fun.



He plays video games on his iPad, mom and my computer, and on the Wii, and sometimes he can't do what he wants. When that happens, he asks me, which makes me feel awesome. The main problem is he cannot manipulate things the way he wants, and it’s not on every video game, just a few. He sometimes gets mad when I do help him, because he does not know that the things I'm doing in the game will achieve the desired result. I try to explain to him I'm doing what he wants, but this is the worst barrier, because it's hard for him to understand I'm trying to do what he is asking of me.

Earlier today (Sunday) he was playing on my computer some nick jr games, when he found another game on my computer, and he started watching the movies for the game. He was totally enthralled with them, so I asked him if he wanted to play the game and he said "yesh". It was fun for him, he's seen me play the game before, and has always loved watching me play, so I let him go at it.

This game is an MMORPG, and so he can play with other people online at the same time, and my mom plays this game, so she got to play with him. He had a blast, the toon (that's what we call an in game character) he was playing has a motorcycle he likes to ride, so he was riding that around, and the same toon also has a helicopter, so he was flying that around. Then he got off the helicopter when he was flying really high, and fell to his death. So he comes and gets me so I can help him get back to the toon's body so he can revive and play more because he can't find it, but I can't find it ether because he landed on the side of a mountain and we couldn't get there as a ghost. To make a long story short I had to get someone to find the toon's corpse and resurrect him so he could keep playing.

After he was able to play again my mom had gotten on the game and they got to play together. He followed her around, and I told him it was grandma, and they had fun, she sat around and watched him playing with stuff, killing low level things, and interacting with the environment, it was cool. Then I guess he was getting frustrated with the game, so he grabbed me, pulled me to the computer, waved his hand at the computer, and said "bye". So I asked him if he was done playing, and he says "yesh", so I turned off the game. Then it was back to the nick jr games. He's just so capable in so many ways he amazes me, and I love to help him when he knows he can't do something.

I once heard a story a long time ago about a person's greatest strength, I know I'll butcher this story, but I will still try to get the idea across.

A father and son are driving down a country road, and they come across a small tree fallen across the road. The father and son get out and the son boasts proudly "it's not very big, I can move it myself". So the father lets the son try to move it, and the son can pick up on end, but can do little more than that. So the son puts the tree back down, and walks back over to his father dejected due to his failure. The father, still proud of his son's attempt, turns to the son and says "you did your best, but you forgot one tool you had available to you" and the son, a bit confused asked his father what tool that was. His father replies "me". His father goes on to explain "you may have had many tools available to you to move the tree yourself, but one of your most powerful tools is the ability to know when you need help, and ask for it, I was hoping you would ask for my help in moving the tree". So the son and father worked together and moved the small tree off the road, and continued on their way home. 

One of the reasons I love this story is because it reminds me of my son and I, he may be able to do some things, but he will need me for others. I love when he knows he needs me for some things, and he tells me. I don't find it a sign of weakness, I find it a strength to know when you need others and you cannot do something on your own. 

There are times he wants me to play the game for him, and I have no problem with that because I know one day he won’t need me to do that. I also love hen he asks me for anything really, it's a connection with him, a way for me to know he thinks about me. The reason why really doesn't matter to me because he may just need me because I'm tall, it's just the simple fact that I come to mind that I love. I know he won’t need me like that forever, and eventually he may just need me to be there, or he may need me to go away, but it feels so awesome right now and I love it. 

Do you feel the same when your child asks for something?

1 comment:

  1. Always!! And it was so much fun seeing him play the game and how far he has come in being able tO do these ( simple for us) things.

    ReplyDelete