Sunday, June 17, 2012

Fathers day.


It's father’s day, and he doesn't know.

The big guy knows about birthdays, Christmas, Easter, Halloween, and other holidays, but I don't think he has a concept of time like we do. I know he loves his birthday, just like any kid his age, but I don't think he understands it's exactly a year after the last one. When the little guy has his birthday we have to explain to him that the presents are not his, he just wants to open them.

I understand he does not get yearly celebrations like that. Don't get me wrong, he knows his birthday is coming up, we tell him, but in February I don't think he's looking forward to August when he can open his presents. I also know he knows when Easter or Christmas is on its way, but little things like father’s day, I think are just another day for him.

What makes it an awesome day for me, when I walk through the door and he runs at me, arms open, screaming "Dahdee" and gives me a big hug. I love him so much, and to see him spontaneously act like that is the best gift any father can have, period. 

He can make macaroni pictures, hand print clay things, or draw bunches of different colored circles on a paper for me, and those are really cool treasures, but the best is the early morning hug, like I've been gone for a year. 

I never want him gone from my life. I always want to see his happy. I don't want to hurt him, though I sometimes have to make him mad for his own good. I love the life in his eyes, and the way sitting on the couch watching SpongeBob is the best time ever. This also goes for the little guy.

They are my stars, and I don't want them to burn out. It wouldn't be much of a father’s day without them. 

Who's your star on this father’s day?

1 comment: