Wednesday, May 8, 2013

Dads and Autism.

I don't mean to gripe, but the other day I saw a Facebook page post 80+ pictures to an album celebrating moms. I have no problems with that, I think mothers dealing with autistic children are awesome, but what about dads? Are we not present? Do we have no voice? Do people honestly think we have no feelings or thoughts about this? 

I see more and more information on the web about mothers and autism. Blogs, websites, Facebook groups... It seems endless. It also seems like everyone forget about dads. 

I say this not because I can't find anything about dads and autism, I have found some things about dads and autism, but nothing like mothers and autism.

I know almost everyone will say the same thing, guys don't talk about their feelings. Though this may be true, I'm still feeling it's not that simple with autism. 

I really think it has more to do with the fact that women are more social about things than guys. Women dominate Pinterest and women are much more active on Facebook than guys, well geek guys are real active one Facebook, but us geek guys don't really count. It's not only that, even when couples go on a tv show to talk about autism the mom does most or all of the talking, the guy is really just a set piece. 

This makes me a bit sad, but more mad. I cannot believe men don't care about their son or daughter with autism. I cannot believe autism is a women's only club. I don't want to think that men do not care, they must care, they can't be heartless can they? 

I would love to see more men say something about autism. Something about how they feel, what they think, how they deal with a meltdown or communication issues. I would love to see some dads talk about how awesome their autistic child is. I would like to see dads tell people how they express ideas with their son or daughter. 

I guess I feel like autism is a mothers world, and men just don't belong. I think we have so much to contribute, maybe all people have to do is just ask. 

No comments:

Post a Comment