Saturday, April 28, 2012

The iPad


A little while ago we got the big guy a New iPad, all I can really say is, AWESOME.

I know some people will look at something like an iPad as just a gaming device, or something to surf the web and check their email, and they are right, for the most part, but there's more. Many apps have been made for the iPad for teaching, communication, and to help increase fine motor control.

To be honest, the first app he fell in love with was Talking Tom Cat 2. This is a freemium app, where the app is free and fully functional, but extra content and functionality are unlocked with an in app purchase, so you don't pay for the app, but you pay for the extras. I'm sure everyone who reads this knows of apps like this, and probably has a few on their own phone.

Anyway....... so this Talking Tom Cat 2, all it does is record what you say, or sounds it hears, and repeats this with in a funny voice. This thing annoys the crap out of me, I cannot stand hearing everything I say, or what other people say, repeated right afterwards, but he LOVES the thing.

It was so cute the first night he had the thing because he was laying on the couch, had the app going, the iPad laying on the couch next to him, and his arm wrapped around it like it was his best friend. Everything he said, it said, so when he was happy with something, so was his friend, and when he was sad about something, so was his friend. It was like watching someone with his best friend, and they agreed on everything. This is just amazing, I mean, just think about it, he has finally found someone who understands him and not only that, this same someone TOTALLY agrees with him, no matter what. Gotta love it.

Another app that I love playing, and the big guy and the little guy love as well is Where's My Water. The boys just love this app, mom and I do also, but there is an underlying reason I love watching them play this app. The fine motor control needed to play the game.

 The whole basis of the game is to get water to an alligator who wants to take a bath. The challenge is doing this through multiple obstacles while also getting the little yellow duckies and finding little objects buried in the dirt around the levels. If you haven't played this game, check out this video.

I have let the little guy and the big guy play the game on my phone, but I haven't played the version they have on the iPad, and to my knowledge mom hasn't ether, and they have gotten to the second or third act on the game. This is a four year old and a five and a half year old, and to be honest, some of the levels are not easy. I have had to sit and think about how to get everything to work correctly so I get all the water to the alligator. I have also Tri-Ducked each act, but I don't expect them to do that.

Just think of that though, when you play some of the levels, very precise controls are needed to get things to go the way they need to complete the levels. I have paged through what they have played, and I just blown away how well they are getting through the game. I know the little guy gets really into it, he almost does the Schroeder thing where he sticks his tongue out while trying to do something, which is cool and cute, but I'm totally fascinated when I watch the big guy play the game. His movements don't seem like they will clear the dirt correctly, or at the right time to get through the level, but then they do, it's weird. When I see he's using his index finger to get things done it makes me very happy as well, because of his fine motor control issues he often uses his thumb the way we would use our index finger, so to see him using his finger in this way shows me he is gaining more control over his body.

I have much more to say about the iPad, but I will keep this post short so as not to bore you.

If you have a child with autism, or even just motor control issues, get them an iPad, it will help, even if they are just playing games, just remember there are other apps for learning and teaching, and I'll talk about them later.

No comments:

Post a Comment